Throwing screens around

I installed debian-sarge on a laptop.  I want to telnet to my Solaris/SPARC
box and throw screens back.  But I get an error saying can't open display.
Yet I have appropriate entries in /etc/hosts for both machines.  In my
telnet session, DISPLAY is set to laptop:0.0, so it should work?

If I ssh -X into the solaris box, I can throw screens back fine.  I have
never had a problem throwing screens from that Solaris box before.  But the
laptop is a fresh install, so I suspect the problem lies there.

Any ideas?

~S