Re: Throwing screens around

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 04:50:50PM -0700, Shea Martin wrote:
> I installed debian-sarge on a laptop.  I want to telnet to my Solaris/SPARC
> box and throw screens back.  But I get an error saying can't open display.
> Yet I have appropriate entries in /etc/hosts for both machines.  In my
> telnet session, DISPLAY is set to laptop:0.0, so it should work?
>
> If I ssh -X into the solaris box, I can throw screens back fine.  I have
> never had a problem throwing screens from that Solaris box before.  But the
> laptop is a fresh install, so I suspect the problem lies there.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> ~S

Hi Shea,

as the other poster pointed out, ssh -X would be the better solution.
On the other hand, I have also worked on machines which didn't have any
sshd running, so you go with what you have. In this case make sure that
you delete the option '-tcp nolisten' from /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc.
That is IIRC... others will jump on me immediately if I am wrong here.

Hth,
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred
                 Key-ID: 0x81073379