Re: Not able to install Debian

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 08:35:20AM +1000, R G Cottrell wrote:
> Manudath Gurudatha wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am trying to install the latest Debian on my old machine having a
> >Quantum SCSI hard drive. This hard drive currently has Red hat 9.0 and
> >I was able to install RH Enterprise on it without any problems.

I had Caldera linux on my old machine.

> >But when I tried to install debian on it, I get an error similar to
> >"No Hard drives found."

I had the same problem.  The only way that worked for me was to make
a boot floppy.  Once booted from the boot floppy, the booted kernel
could detect the SCSI CDrom drive and load the base-system from there.

My SCSI controller is an Adaptec 2940UW, clearly supported, so I
suspect a problem in the installer.  What I installed was sarge.

> Sounds like your SCSI adapter isn't supported by the
> default kernel and drivers.  From the initial boot screen
> you should be able to hit a function key that will tell you
> some options to give the kernel to support a number of
> SCSI adapters that you might have.  I forget which F-key
> has the information.

I suspect that the boot kernel on the CDrom doesn't look for
(at least) the Adaptec 2940, maybe others.  Or maybe there is
a problem with the boot kernel ignoring SCSI altogether.

A.