Re: Any tcp experts out there who can help me understand

On Friday 18 February 2005 19:34, Michael Marsh wrote:

> > I have set this up again this evening, and I get exactly the same result.
> > With Konqueror/Linux I get the DUP ACK, with IE/Win98 I do not.
>
> Are you sure that no packets are being dropped?  Is Linux perhaps more
> aggressive in expanding the send window, or does Konqueror try to
> start more simultaneous TCP connections than IE?

As close as I can do with manual checking.

In ethereal, I can call up the window that shows the complete tcp/stream for
the http conversation to get the CSS file.  It all appears to be there
despite the DUP ACK at the end.

The view from the server end is that there are two simulatenous packets in
flight (there are two from the server before an ack comes back) with linux,
whilst not so under windows.

On linux (can't do it on windows) at the client end the traffic seems to be
one response from the server, followed by an immediate ACK from the client.

The DUP ACK seems to be the response to a shorter packet (because of the end
of the css file).

The important point to note here is that the CSS file is being generated on
the fly by a php script which is unloading it from a database and decoding it
from a base 64 form.  My suspicion is that something is not quite right in
this stream as recognised by konqueror (and firefox) - but I don't really
know where to look.

Does anyone happen to know if the DUP ACK is purely the TCP level message or
whether something an connecting programme can do could cause it.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk