USB disk and KDE

I have KDE 3.2 installed manually on Debian Testing. When I insert my USB disk (SanDisk Cruzer Mini 128MB) it is supposed to have auto-mounted and be accessable for a normal user but instead nothing happens. To use the device, I have to issue the command as root: /mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /media/usbdisk/ and even then it is only accessable by root.

When I had gnome installed, it would automagically mount it and place a launcher on the desktop and I could read and write as I please. Is there something in KDE that is comparable to the functionality as found in GNOME?