Backup script to network drive file io problem

I have a very simple backup script which runs every night

save_date=`date +%Y%m%d`

filename=/mnt/backups/backup_$save_date.tar

cd /srv

tar –cvf $filename ./*

gzip $filename

Works a dandy… except that about 3 days a week it doesn’t do the zip step and I end up with a rather large tar file and a message in my mail saying File Input/Output Error

Does anyone know what may cause this? The remote box is a windows box (NTFS partition) if that matters.

I’m assuming I’ll just tar/zip locally then copy over, but I’d prefer to do it on the remote drive if that’s possible.