Re: External thermometers

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 09:51:50AM -0600, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> I'm looking for a thermometer to send data via serial or USB to a Linux
> server.  The goal is to set up remote monitoring of our server room's
> temperature.  I've seen plenty of DIY setups online, but I'd really prefer
> to buy something pre-made if possible; it'd be cheaper for my boss to buy
> something that works than to pay me to make one.  Any recommendations?

Buy a real thermometer, and an el-cheapo USB webcam.  Put the
thermometer in your server room and have the webcam snaps an image of
it every few minutes and make it available through apache or
something.

Reading the temperature values from the images could be done through
some image processing (for alarm purposes in case it's getting hot in
the server room).

;)