Re: Backup script to network drive file io problem

on Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 10:51:25AM -0600, Rob Brenart (TT) (Rob.Brenart@tradingtechnologies.com) wrote:
> I have a very simple backup script which runs every night
>
> save_date=`date +%Y%m%d`
> filename=/mnt/backups/backup_$save_date.tar
>
> cd /srv
> tar -cvf $filename ./*
> gzip $filename
>

> Works a dandy... except that about 3 days a week it doesn't do the zip
> step and I end up with a rather large tar file and a message in my mail
> saying File Input/Output Error

One-letter change:

    tar -czvf $filename ./*
          ^

Compresses via gzip within tar.

If you want, you can use bzip2 ('j') for better compression but (much)
higher CPU load.  Depending on your network spead, the CPU overhead may
be minimal (waiting for data).

Peace.

    Three things are not to be trusted; a cow's horn, a dog's tooth, and
    a horse's hoof.