Re: Display Manager Problems -- CRY FOR HELP

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 09:56:30PM -0500, David A. Cobb wrote:
> I had everything working - almost.  So, naturally, I messed it up.

Ah, you must be a true geek...repair it until it's broken...:)
> I was seeing results that looked as though my login scripts --
> specifically /etc/profile -- were not being executed.   As it turned
> out, that wasn't the problem.
>
> However, before I found the real problem, I went and touched the
> /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default script.  Thereafter, nothing seems to make
> gdm work.  I purged it, made sure /etc/gdm was gone, re-installed it ---
> failure!  I re-installed EVERYTHING gnome-xxx plus gdm, gdm-themes ---
> failure!
That seems to indicate that you touched something else...???

> The failure is of a very wierd type.  I boot to "starting gdm."
> The display driver puts up the nVIdia splash, then clears to grey; it
> paints the background of the login dialog -- a light grey box with a
> white spot where the "username" input will be.  Then there is a
> painfully long delay.  While I'm waiting, I can move the mouse cursor
> around, and it changes when it passes over the input-box-to-be.
> After maybe as much as five MINUTES delay, the dialog foreground gets
> painted.  However, it does not accept input either from  the keyboard or
> from clicking mouse buttons.

Do you have any kind of firewall installed?

> In a state of desperation, I swiched my default-display-manager to
> xdm.  Now I have a new set of problems: xdm will not validate any
> "normal" username.  I really do know my password, but it gives me
> Login Invalid.  Just to make sure, I had my wife try it and she could
> not log in either.  However, it does let me in as "root" -- proving
> something, I'm not sure what.  At least it proves that both keyboard and
> mouse are functioning, even if gdm doesn't want to listen to them.
>
> That leaves me with all the reasons it is a bad thing to log into X as
> root.   Especially, I can't run X applications successfully under other
> usernames.  That has made a real mess of my email archive!!!

A way to getting your mail (and whatever else) from a root x-session
(not that I am saying you should run X as root!!!):

login: ssh -X user@localhost
and then starting your x-application from the command line
should give you access to your mail