Re: how to get noetworked printing work?

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:07:23PM +0100, Bruno Boettcher wrote:
> Hello!
>
> on side i have a server with an lpd, on the other side a laptop with
> cups..
>
> i put the ip of the laptop into /etc/hosts.lpd
> i restarted the inetd, portmapper, i restarted both print daemons....
>
> and still nothing...
> the jobs pile up into the queue on the laptop, nothing comes ever into
> reach of the server.....
> no entries in any log
> no way to know what's going wrong.....
>
> is there a way to test by hand somehow how to print?
> how to achieve a diagnose where this is going wrong?
Hi Bruno,

Normally being against web interfaces, I found 'http://127.0.0.1:631/'
very useful for setting up printing for cups -- from the laptop that
would be. Be sure to choose 'LPD/LPR Host or Printer' and then
'lpd://hostname/queue' with the server/queue. And that would be it. Take
care of any firewall configuration, and make sure your lpd on the server
is listening for requests.

Hth,

Andreas

> --
> ciao bboett
> bboett@adlp.org
> http://inforezo.u-strasbg.fr/~bboett

Andreas Rippl -- I prefer encrypted mail