Re: using debian sarge installation cd as a rescue disk

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 13:42 -0500, Frederico Rodrigues Abraham wrote:
>     Hi. I've recently installed windows on a partition and lost GRUB on my mbr.
>     Is there any way to use the debian sarge cd as a rescue disk so i
> can run grub-install ?
>     Thanks

If you're not using any exotic filesystems or hardware, you could use
the woody install CD instead. It's much better suited for rescue use, I
think.

I think you should be able to use the sarge CD as well, if that's all
you've got but its not quite as handy (or I just dont know how to use
it). I think there are 2 ways of doing it:

1. specify pass root=<devicenamehere> at the CD boot prompt. The catch
is that I think it has to be a devfs device name (i've not got it to
work, because i can never remember what the devicename should be), so if
you're not familiar with devfs, you may want to try option #2.

2. start up the installer in expert mode, and execute a shell when you
get a chance. then mount your root partition and chroot to it. you still
have to use devfs device names, but now you can look through /dev to
figure out which is the correct one.

hope that helps,

-davidc