Re: WLAN Cardbus Adapters

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:15:55 +0000, Ben Hill <ben@serosoft.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a pcmcia wifi adapter for my laptop, and wondered what
> cards people used with Debian. Specifically, I'm looking at the Linksys
> Wireless-G 2.4Ghz 802.11g Notebook Adapter.
>
> What cardbus adapters do people use, and anyone know if the Linksys
> adapter I mentioned is compatible with Debian?

I'm using a Netgear WG511 with the prism54 chipset. The latest
firmware isn't really as stable as the one that preceded it, but at
the very least it's supported in vanilla kernels.

Another kit I'm using for wardriving purposes is the Senao 2511 (using
the prism2 chipset) - it's only 802.11b, but it's quite high powered
at 200mW, and thus can cover way farther than the average wireless
card. It's also Linux compatible.

Other cards you may want to check out: Senao 3045 (802.11b/g) and 5354
(802.11a/b/g) - both which use the Atheros chipset ( you can get this
running on Linux using the madwifi open source drivers), SMC 2835W
(also uses prism54 chipset), and the venerable Orinoco Gold using the
prism2 chipset.

--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@gmail.com