Re: cloning hard disk

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 21:12 -0700, Allasso Travesser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to clone my Debian Woody system onto a second larger hard disk.
> It seems to me that it would just be a matter of cleaning off the second
> disk, partioning using fdisk, and then running:
>
> dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hda
>
> where hdc is the drive from which I am copying my current system, and hda is
> the drive I want to put this system on.
>
> current hdc partition table (2 Gb disk):
>
> 	Device Boot	Start	End	Blocks	 Id System
>      /dev/hdc1		    1	 13      52384+    83 Linux
>      /dev/hdc2                   14      449   1757952     83 Linux
>      /dev/hdc3                 450      523     298368     82 Linux swap
>
> How I plan to partition hda (30 Gb disk):
>
> 	Device Boot	Start	End	Blocks	 Id System
>      /dev/hda1		    1	 13        52384    83 Linux
>      /dev/hda2                   14    3704   29647957+  83 Linux
>      /dev/hda3                3705     523       298368    82 Linux swap
>
> Can anyone see anything wrong with this, or would you tell me anything I
> should watch out for? Anything I should find out about my current system
> first? It seems that this could be fatal if it is not done right.
>
> Thank you, Allasso

We routinely clone hard drives by doing a simple cp.

make the filesystem, cp the files, then reinstall the bootloader

I have attached an older script that has lilo stuff in it (I can't post
the newer ones). We tend to do the chroot and lilo bit manually as we
feel safer that way.

works very nicely every time

Cheers
Blake