Re: a dpkg question

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:00:24 +0100, Rich Rudnick wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 09:17 +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:

>> after my removal of Gnome and a run of orphaner running dpkg -l |
>> grep ^r gives me a long list of removed packages whose config files
>> are still there (status rc).

> With aptitude, `l~c<enter> <shift-underscore> g [stop and read] g`
> will purge them all.

For the benefit of at least one of the Great Unwashed, would you be
good enough to expand this a bit.  I am trying to get the hang of the
features offered by aptitude.

I note the options:
"l" narrows the search,
"g" installs/removes packages and
"_ (underscore)" <purges?|marks for purging?> .

What ~c does, remains to be found.

And how to use the whole command without doing irreparable damage is
well beyond both my ability and my courage.

Felix Karpfen

Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)