Re: a dpkg question

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:00:24 +0100, Rich Rudnick wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 09:17 +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:

>> after my removal of Gnome and a run of orphaner running dpkg -l |
>> grep ^r gives me a long list of removed packages whose config files
>> are still there (status rc).
>

> With aptitude, `l~c<enter> <shift-underscore> g [stop and read] g`
> will purge them all.

For the benefit of at least one of the Great Unwashed, would you be
good enough to expand this a bit.  I am trying to get the hang of the
features offered by aptitude.

I note the options:
"l" narrows the search,
"g" installs/removes packages and
"_ (underscore)" <purges?|marks for purging?> .

What ~c does, remains to be found.

And how to use the whole command without doing irreparable damage is
well beyond both my ability and my courage.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)