Re: Sarge install thoughts...

Le Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:23:01 +0100, Andreas Rippl a écrit :

> I'd even go so far as to place /home as more important than swap, as I
> go for a swap file nowadays rather than a swap partition. The only
> exception is when I was playing around with the kernel suspend - for
> that you need a swap partition. I don't know of any drawbacks for
> swap files (except for a slight speed penalty perhaps?) and they are more
> flexible: swapoff, change swap file size, swapon - no partitions to
> change. Apart from that I fully agree with you about the separate /home,
> full stop.

swap partitions are great if you have multiple disks. If you setup
multiple swap on different disk it behaves like a RAID0 (more secure then
it however). You cannot do that with a swap file.
ONly one swap partition does not give much over a swap file howver.

And you can use a swap file for suspend too. Though suspend2 does not
support it yet.

Alban