Re: Rebuilt kernel is too big

David A. Cobb wrote:
I did a make-kpkg on kernel-2.6.10 (_2.6.10-4) and everything appeared
to go well; likewise dpkg --install <new.deb> was without error or
exception.

However, when I added the new vmlinuz & initrd.img to my lilo.conf and
ran lilo, it moaned unhappily about the size of the kernel and assuming
it could load it at the top of memory, etc.  On the menu, the new kernel
was marked with a 'U'.  I tried booting it anyway, but got a kernel
panic because the romfs was too big and then it couldn't "sync" or open
the boot device (0302).
Is there a way to accomodate this?  Could it be as simple as the
configuration parameter for the size of the "ramdisks"?
Alternatively, how can I reliably make the kernel enough smaller to work?

Switch to Grub.  TTBOMK, Grub doesn't really care how big your kernel
is, as it just reads off of the partition (unlike LILO, which has to
install it to a special location).

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez