k3b simply stalls; nothing happens

Hi,

I installed k3b, k3blibs, and k3blibs-dev (0.11.19-1) (debian sid).
when I start up k3b, I get the following messages:
  $ k3b
  Link points to "/tmp/ksocket-ric"
  QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
  QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
  Link points to "/tmp/kde-ric"
  QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
  QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
  kbuildsycoca running...
  k3b: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance
  name or about data passed to the constructor!

At this point I can see the k3b window and gui, but it is frozen;
nothing happens.  I can point or click on items, such as new dvd
project, but nothing happens.  Eventually I kill the program with
ctrl-c, but a while later I will get the following message on the
terminal:
  Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
  ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 7027, errno = 2
I tried to run k3bsetup, but got the same message (without the last
line about WARNING: KGeneric....)

I looked on Google, but there weren't a lot of helpful suggestions.
I didn't install all of kde; I just wanted k3b.

Ric