Rebuilt kernel is too big

I did a make-kpkg on kernel-2.6.10 (_2.6.10-4) and everything appeared to go well; likewise dpkg --install <new.deb> was without error or exception.

However, when I added the new vmlinuz & initrd.img to my lilo.conf and ran lilo, it moaned unhappily about the size of the kernel and assuming it could load it at the top of memory, etc. On the menu, the new kernel was marked with a 'U'. I tried booting it anyway, but got a kernel panic because the romfs was too big and then it couldn't "sync" or open the boot device (0302). Is there a way to accomodate this? Could it be as simple as the configuration parameter for the size of the "ramdisks"?
Alternatively, how can I reliably make the kernel enough smaller to work?

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.