Re: Sarge install thoughts...

On 11 Feb 2005, Jon Dowland wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> >Not necessary but desirable I think. If you do something disastrous to /
> >and have to reinstall you feel happier if /home is on a separate
> >partition. The same applies to /usr/local, I think.
> >
> Yeah for expert users - who can use the manual partitioning method.
>
> I used to seperate /home as a matter of principle until it struck me
> that I ran into disk problems (too little space on / or /home
> interchangeably) far more often than I trashed my partition.

Yes, I agree it's possible to run out of space, so it's a good idea to
err on the generous side when setting things up. But I don't think it
requires any great level of expertise to partition the disk manually,
though perhaps it's not something to attempt on the first install.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk for
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  weblog, book reviews, electronic