Re: Repairing a corrupted system When dselect Hick ups

martin f krafft writes:
>Damn, this was my fault.
>
>Change the command I gave you to:
>
>  dpkg --get-selections | sed -ne 's,[:space:]install$,,p' | \
>    xargs apt-get install --reinstall --yes
>
>then it should not complain.
>
>What happened was that some packages are marked with status
>'deinstall', and the above line cut the 'install' bit off, leaving
>a stray 'de', which xargs then fed to apt-get as a package to
>reinstall.

	What's funny is that there is a directory called de in some of
the x11 stuff.  I don't run X but I do have some of the libraries
since they are needed to run an application I have on that system so
it made things interesting.  Thanks for the explanation.:-)

	I hadn't totally analyzed what that command did only that it
appeared sensable and safe to run.

>> Unknown HZ value! (90) Assume 100.
>This is a problem with an inconsistency between kernel and
>user-space libraries. I do not have more information, but the
>problem is not really a problem. Ignore it for now.

	That's kind of what I figured.  The system has been rock solid
except for McCormick-induced artificial stupidity, easier to execute
than artificial intelligence, so I didn't think it was terribly
important.

	Thanks again.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group