Re: xsane stopped working after upgrade (Sid)

On 09 Feb 2005, Andreas Rippl wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:29:47AM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > xsane has been working well here for many months with my Epson
> > Perfection 1650. Following a recent upgrade via Sid it now crashes.
> >
> > In detail, it  initially recognizes the scanner and starts to scan but
> > then hangs. I therefore kill the running xsane and try again. Now it
> > says it can't find the scanner. However, if I unplug the scanner and
> > replug it (Google suggestion), we sometimes get back to the starting
> > point but again it locks up.
> >
> > Results of sane-find-scanner:
> >
> > "found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0110) at libusb:001:006"
> >
> > Contents of /etc/sane.d/epson.conf:
> > --------------------------
> > # epson.conf
> > #
> > # here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON backend
> > #
> > # SCSI scanner:
> > # scsi EPSON
> > #
> > # Parallel port scanner:
> > #pio 0x278
> > #pio 0x378
> > #pio 0x3BC
> > #
> > # USB scanner - only enable this if you have an EPSON scanner. It could
> > #               otherwise block your non-EPSON scanner from being
> > #               recognized.
> > #		Depending on your distribution, you may need either the
> > #		first or the second entry.
> > usb
> > #usb /dev/usbscanner0
> > usb /dev/usb/scanner0
> > usb 0x4b8 0x110
> >
> > This is with Debian kernel 2.6.10-1-686 #1
> >
> > I've reported this as a bug. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Anthony
> >
> Hi Anthony,
>
> I had a similar problem with a another USB scanner, and for me it helped
> to remove the 'usb /dev/usb/scanner0' line (from hp.conf in my case),
> as this is used used for the kernel module. As you use libusb however,
> you don't need it, but only the line below (usb 0x4b8 0x110). I am
> doubtful if that's the solution to your problem however, as you say that
> the scanner starts out working correctly...
>
> Also, the output of scanimage -L is correct? The access rights? There is
> a group called scanner, which I put the users in as well.
>
> Andreas

Thanks for the reply. No, it doesn't work for me. The first time I run
xsane everything seems to go as expected except that no picture appears.
Then I have to repower the scanner to get it recognized again. It
therefore seems as if the problem is in processing the output from the
scanner, rather than in getting it to run.

Both scanimage -L and sane-find-scanner show the scanner is there, and
so does cat /proc/bus/usb/devices.

Google shows some people with similar problems (different scanners) but
no obvious solutions. I'm beginning to wonder if it is a hardware
problem of some sort, for the following reasons:

	1. It developed in a system which was working previously.
	2. I reverted to the previous version of xsane, but no help.
	3. I tried 3 different kernels: no help.

But my laptop (almost identical setup) does work with the scanner, so it
seems unlikely that it has developed a fault. I'm completely floored by
this.

Anthony
--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk for
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  weblog, book reviews, electronic