xsane stopped working after upgrade (Sid)

xsane has been working well here for many months with my Epson
Perfection 1650. Following a recent upgrade via Sid it now crashes.

In detail, it  initially recognizes the scanner and starts to scan but
then hangs. I therefore kill the running xsane and try again. Now it
says it can't find the scanner. However, if I unplug the scanner and
replug it (Google suggestion), we sometimes get back to the starting
point but again it locks up.

Results of sane-find-scanner:

"found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0110) at libusb:001:006"

Contents of /etc/sane.d/epson.conf:
--------------------------
# epson.conf
#
# here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON backend
#
# SCSI scanner:
# scsi EPSON
#
# Parallel port scanner:
#pio 0x278
#pio 0x378
#pio 0x3BC
#
# USB scanner - only enable this if you have an EPSON scanner. It could
#               otherwise block your non-EPSON scanner from being
#               recognized.
#		Depending on your distribution, you may need either the
#		first or the second entry.
usb
#usb /dev/usbscanner0
usb /dev/usb/scanner0
usb 0x4b8 0x110

This is with Debian kernel 2.6.10-1-686 #1

I've reported this as a bug. Any suggestions?

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk for
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  weblog, book reviews, electronic