Re: Sarge with ext3, reiserfs (3/4?) or xfs?

hi ya

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

> > sure it does ... ext2 is underneath ext3... so its painful
>
> I doubt that, ext2 is old, very reliable.

reliable does nto necessarily mean its usable today...
it is close to 20 years old

> > and moreover, ext3 is subject to super long fsck when you hit the
> > power switch on 20GB or 200GB or 2TB or 20TB systems
>
> no? because it has journaling. I never had to this. this was ext2

sounds like you never formatted 1TB or 2TB in ext2 or ext3 or
any other journalling fs
	- as you say .. do your homework before posting :-)
	( couldn't resist )

> > xfs, jfs, reiserfs recovers faster/better than ext3 from
> > power off and resets
>
> nope, xfs writes 0 in files, jfs I dunno, and reiserfs can simple break
> totaly. Just read the ML and you will see ...

i don't need to read ML.... i am a doer and make things work or
break um depending on who's paying

> >>. XFS, ReiserFS, etc are high end journaling systems, they all are good,
> >>but they are designed to run on raid,
> >

> > nonsense ... :-)  ... journaling is good if:
>
> <snip wrong info>

yeah.. you should sniff pff "design to run on raid"
and/or "high end journaling systems"  as both are wrong info

but than again, you/i can argue about that till the sun
turns a light green shade and it still wont make any difference

> ext3 HAS journaling. I don't know where you get your information, but I
> would do some research before posting.

nobody said ext3 didnt have journalling ..maybe you too need
to reread the posts since you like to incorrectly flame and
incorrectly quote rather than read and understand

> I dunno, but at some point there where the IBM disk of death, plus the
> fact that a HD (IDE) can ALWAYS die.

snip off "ALWAYS" .. as more newbie errorneous posts
	=
	= buy better quality disks and it wont die
	=

- don't use 1 exception of ibm's !@#$% as the reason and generalization
  for all ide disks

c ya
alvin

- please dont bother the list if its more of the itty-bitty flame fest