Re: Sarge with ext3, reiserfs (3/4?) or xfs?

On 02/10/2005 05:55 PM, Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya
>
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:
>

>>>sure it does ... ext2 is underneath ext3... so its painful
>>
>>I doubt that, ext2 is old, very reliable.
>

> reliable does nto necessarily mean its usable today...
> it is close to 20 years old

so is unix, etc, that doesn't make it bad? or? ext3/2 is very reliable
and I trust it more than XFS (merged from an irix machine to a linux
kernel with an special vfat layer to get it working) or ReiserFS (know
bugs, denied by auther, no recover tools, claimed to be the best, but
never was) or JFS (totaly unknown nobody seems to know it)

>>>and moreover, ext3 is subject to super long fsck when you hit the
>>>power switch on 20GB or 200GB or 2TB or 20TB systems
>>
>>no? because it has journaling. I never had to this. this was ext2
>

> sounds like you never formatted 1TB or 2TB in ext2 or ext3 or
> any other journalling fs
> 	- as you say .. do your homework before posting :-)
> 	( couldn't resist )

I did. a 900GB RAID5, I had that with ext2 and then with ext3. worked fine.

Nowadays I use XFS on that. Despite my above given statement, its not
too bad. thought there are issues with SMP+XFS+NFS. But XFS has ACLs,
quote and a very nice set of tools

>>>xfs, jfs, reiserfs recovers faster/better than ext3 from
>>>power off and resets
>>
>>nope, xfs writes 0 in files, jfs I dunno, and reiserfs can simple break
>>totaly. Just read the ML and you will see ...
>

> i don't need to read ML.... i am a doer and make things work or
> break um depending on who's paying

well, you should read ...

>>ext3 HAS journaling. I don't know where you get your information, but I
>>would do some research before posting.
>

> nobody said ext3 didnt have journalling ..maybe you too need
> to reread the posts since you like to incorrectly flame and
> incorrectly quote rather than read and understand

no, you statet that in your quote:
	- you do NOT want to wait hrs for ext3 to format 2TB of disks
	before you even get to mount it

and thats not true. ext3 is journaling adn there is no need for a check
of disks.

>>I dunno, but at some point there where the IBM disk of death, plus the
>>fact that a HD (IDE) can ALWAYS die.
>

> snip off "ALWAYS" .. as more newbie errorneous posts
> 	=
> 	= buy better quality disks and it wont die
> 	=

so what is quality in IDE nowadays. thats mass product, cheap and not
reliable. thought I can't sat that for SCSI either. I had to disks die
in the last week.

- --
[ Clemens Schwaighofer                      -----=====:::::~ ]
[ TBWA\ && TEQUILA\ Japan IT Group                           ]
[                6-17-2 Ginza Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0061, JAPAN ]
[ Tel: +81-(0)3-3545-7703            Fax: +81-(0)3-3545-7343 ]
[ http://www.tequila.co.jp        http://www.tbwajapan.co.jp ]