Re: GNOME is f*cked seven ways from Sunday

 --- "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > Every once in a while, you just run into something you need to get off
> > your chest.  So I bring to you:
>
> Wow.  All I can say is that I am glad WindowMaker is what I use.

I don't use GNOME, but I do use GTK apps.  Now, some designers of GTK apps
that aren't skr1p7 k1dd13s actually realise that GTK != GNOME, and hence
design their programs independant of that bloated piece of crap we'll call
GNOME.  A pity, then, that the GNOME designers do not realise this.  But
that's another debate entirely.

Despite this, I have found that running GTK apps outside of GNOME has been
more successful than any of the (limiting) QT ones I might need from KDE.
Now almost all of the QT-based apps I use, need half of KDE to reside in
memory before it even thinks about loading.  Good, eh?  :)

But Nautilus is core to GNOME, and is a very bloated file manager.  Almost
akin to the abomination KDE call konqueror.  I am not surprised it falls
on its back with its legs twitching when asked to run outside its house.
One thing that would help it run, is whether the said WM it is being used
in knows and supports EWMH.  Since I am a HUGE Fvwm fan, I know this to be
the case, and from the reports I have seen of people, it is *generally*
the case that nautilus does run fairly well (albeit slowly).

If it is that much of a nuisance, which I believe it is, I'd consider
using another file manager, such as:  dfm, rox, emelfm, gentoo, moxfm,
whatever.  It doesn't solve _any_ of your issues, Karsten, but it might
keep your blood-pressure down somewhat.  :)

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

experience will probably kill you. :)"