Burning a video DVD from VOB files (was: Re: copy DVD)

On Feb 08 2005, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> Note also that neither Transcode nor DVD::Rip are available from official
> debian sources. DVD::Rip runs well from an "installation" in a user
> directory though.

I know that, at least, transcode is available as a debian package from
Marillat's repository.

Anyway, a directory tree of a (video) DVD is something like this:

AUDIO_TS
VIDEO_TS

with VIDEO_TS containing all the VOB, IFO and BUP files. I tried making
such a directory tree and burning a DVD with growisofs (I passed the -r and
-J options to it, perhaps that was the problem) and it didn't work both in
a standalone DVD player and in computer players (like mplayer or xine).

For instance, xine (from testing) complains:

rbrito@dumont:~$ xine
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.3.
(c) 2000-2004 The xine Team.
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.8 for DVD access
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.8 for DVD access
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
rbrito@dumont:~$

On the other hand, here is the listing of the directory tree of the burnt
DVD:

.
|-- AUDIO_TS
`-- VIDEO_TS
    |-- VIDEO_TS.BUP
    |-- VIDEO_TS.IFO
    |-- VIDEO_TS.VOB
    |-- VTS_01_0.BUP
    |-- VTS_01_0.IFO
    |-- VTS_01_0.VOB
    |-- VTS_01_1.VOB
    |-- VTS_01_2.VOB
    |-- VTS_01_3.VOB
    |-- VTS_02_0.BUP
    |-- VTS_02_0.IFO
    |-- VTS_02_0.VOB
    |-- VTS_02_1.VOB
    |-- VTS_03_0.BUP
    |-- VTS_03_0.IFO
    |-- VTS_03_0.VOB
    |-- VTS_03_1.VOB
    |-- VTS_04_0.BUP
    |-- VTS_04_0.IFO
    |-- VTS_04_0.VOB
    |-- VTS_04_1.VOB
    |-- VTS_05_0.BUP
    |-- VTS_05_0.IFO
    |-- VTS_05_0.VOB
    `-- VTS_05_1.VOB

2 directories, 25 files

As it is clear from the above, something must be wrong somewhere as both
VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO and VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP are there.

The funny thing is that the standalone player only plays the introduction
of the DVD (but it doesn't reach the part of the Menu of the DVD).

Any help here? Was it a problem with the -r and -J switches that I passed
to growisofs? Unfortunately, I don't have rewritable media and, as such, I
can't really experiment... :-(

Going to "the other side" and burning these exact files with Nero Burning
Rom worked without any problems. So, there must be something that I am
missing, obviously.

BTW, I just discovered that the image that Nero generated was an UDF file,
instead of an ISO9660 file like growisofs did. Apparently, that would be
the cause of the problem, taking into consideration the messages that
libdvdnav and libdvdread emmited. Is that the problem?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Rogério.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at: