Re: copy DVD

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 18:26 +0100, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> On Tuesday February 8 2005 17:47, James Griffith wrote:
> > I have looked at copying DVD's on Google and haven't found much on how to
> > copy them in Linux, I know about ripping and encoding them in windows, but
> > I want to do both in Linux. Any how-tos or any advice would be appreciated
> > greatly.
>
> DID::Rip used to work after some fiddling, but using it is straightforward.
> It's basically a frontend to transcode. Be aware that getting the sound
> synched up can be a time-consuming business, especially if you're using the
> distributed rendering offered by Rip (avimerge was also broken back when I
> was using it, but switching to OggMedia containers did the trick).
>
> DVD::Rip: http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/
> Transcode (?): http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode
>
> (?) I have no idea what the "official" status on that one is. Back when I was
> using it, the creator didn't seem to have time/interest in it, but the Wiki
> shows recent activity.
>
> Note also that neither Transcode nor DVD::Rip are available from official
> debian sources. DVD::Rip runs well from an "installation" in a user directory
> though.

They are in
  deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat unstable main

Acidrip also works.

This is the script I use for ripping DVDs.  You'll need these
apps.  You'll need to install the lsdvd and mencoder packages
from debian-marillat.  Yes, it works with encrypted DVDs.

<SCRIPT>
#!/bin/sh
#echo "****************************************"
#echo "Derived from a script created by AcidRip
#echo "****************************************"

NAME=$(lsdvd -q | grep ^Disc | cut -d\  -f3)
ROOT=/data/share/video/movies
DEST=$ROOT/$NAME
echo $DEST

mkdir $DEST

TMP=x$1
echo $TMP
if [ -z "$1" ];
then
    echo "in NO PARAM"
    LIST=$(lsdvd | grep ^Title | cut -c8,9)
else
    echo "in IS PARAM"
    LIST=$1
fi
echo $LIST

AUDIO="-oac pcm"
AUDIO="-oac mp3lame -lameopts :preset=extreme"

VIDEO="-ovc xvid -xvidencopts :bitrate=5000"

for CHAP in $LIST;
do
    mencoder dvd://$CHAP -dvd-device /dev/dvd -alang en \
             -info srcform="Thanks, Acidrip.sf.net" \
             $AUDIO $VIDEO -o $DEST/$CHAP.avi

done
</SCRIPT>

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"The man who has gotten everything he wants is all in favor of
peace and order."
Jawaharlal Nehru