Re: copy DVD

On Tuesday February 8 2005 17:47, James Griffith wrote:
> I have looked at copying DVD's on Google and haven't found much on how to
> copy them in Linux, I know about ripping and encoding them in windows, but
> I want to do both in Linux. Any how-tos or any advice would be appreciated
> greatly.

DID::Rip used to work after some fiddling, but using it is straightforward.
It's basically a frontend to transcode. Be aware that getting the sound
synched up can be a time-consuming business, especially if you're using the
distributed rendering offered by Rip (avimerge was also broken back when I
was using it, but switching to OggMedia containers did the trick).

DVD::Rip: http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/
Transcode (?): http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode

(?) I have no idea what the "official" status on that one is. Back when I was
using it, the creator didn't seem to have time/interest in it, but the Wiki
shows recent activity.

Note also that neither Transcode nor DVD::Rip are available from official
debian sources. DVD::Rip runs well from an "installation" in a user directory
though.

--
Got Backup?

Jabber: Shadowdancer at jabber.fsinf.de