Re: Running startx fails as a non-privileged user

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 03:15 -0700, Jeffrey Chimene wrote:
> HI Folks,
>
> I've fallen prey to this same problem. See also
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2005/01/msg00389.html
>
> I've setuid the XFree86 image. According to Ron Johnson, this fixed the
> problem.
> $ ls -lat /usr/bin/X11/XFree86
> -rwsr-xr-x  1 root root 1745740 Dec 15 12:19 /usr/bin/X11/XFree86
>
> This doesn't seem to fix the problem on my box. I also have the
> "correct" settings in XWrapper.config:

What exactly did you do?  This?
  #chmod 4755 /usr/bin/X11/XFree86

> $ cat /etc/X11//Xwrapper.config
> # Xwrapper.config (Debian X Window System server wrapper configuration file)
> <snip>
> #   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common
> allowed_users=console
> nice_value=-10

Here are the values in mine:
  allowed_users=console
  nice_value=0

nice_value is 0 because that's what it recommends for 2.6 kernels.

> I notice that the nice() call fails.
>
> If someone has other ideas, I'd really appreciate some help. I copied
> over my .mozilla directory to /root to limp along for awhile, but I
> really need to run as a NPU.
>
> Thanks,
> jec

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
General George S. Patton