Re: Running startx fails as a non-privileged user

HI Folks,

I've fallen prey to this same problem. See also http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2005/01/msg00389.html

I've setuid the XFree86 image. According to Ron Johnson, this fixed the problem.
$ ls -lat /usr/bin/X11/XFree86
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root root 1745740 Dec 15 12:19 /usr/bin/X11/XFree86

This doesn't seem to fix the problem on my box. I also have the "correct" settings in XWrapper.config:

$ cat /etc/X11//Xwrapper.config
# Xwrapper.config (Debian X Window System server wrapper configuration file)
<snip>
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common
allowed_users=console
nice_value=-10

I notice that the nice() call fails.

If someone has other ideas, I'd really appreciate some help. I copied over my .mozilla directory to /root to limp along for awhile, but I really need to run as a NPU.

Thanks,
jec