ADSL Gateway with dhcp, masquerading, web filtering onto wireless gateway

I have been asked to setup a system for a church.
They currenly have an oldish dell desktop running windows.
I am thinking of putting Debian on it.
They have the following requirements.

o Connected to the internet via ADSL. The subscription (probably Wanadoo in the UK) will come with a cheap USB adsl modem which for cost reasons I would like to use. Is this sensible?

o Internet accessible file storage. I can only think of running a FTP server, but aren't these insecure? Do they still use plain text passwords? I want to avoid SCP since windows users can't access it without downloading more software. FTP can be accessed through their existing file browsers.

o Is Debian sarge okay or should I really stick with woody? They might want to still do some desktop work on the machine and Gnome 1.4 really isn't that great.

o Gateway to a wireless network. I have a cheap wireless gateway to connect to the ethernet port of the Dell. What packages should I install to get masquerading, dhcp, etc

o Web filtering. I assume I should use squid and some filter plug-in. Or perhaps there is some free proxy out on the internet somewhere? Can I lock all html stuff on the computer and the wireless subnet to go through the proxy wherever it is? I don't want users to bypass the filter.

Advice about recommended packages to install and howtos for configuration would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tim.