Re: ADSL Gateway with dhcp, masquerading, web filtering onto wireless gateway

* Timie Milie:

> o Connected to the internet via ADSL. The subscription (probably Wanadoo
> in the UK) will come with a cheap USB adsl modem which for cost reasons
> I would like to use. Is this sensible?

That depends on the hardware.

$ apt-cache search usb dsl
br2684ctl - Utility for configuring RFC 2684 ATM/Ethernet bridging
eagle-usb-data - Data for Eagle USB ADSL modems
eagle-usb-modules-source - Kernel module for Eagle USB ADSL modems
eagle-usb-utils - Userspace tools for Eagle USB ADSL modems
eciadsl - userspace driver for the Globespan-based USB ADSL modems
speedtouch - userspace driver for the Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL Adapter
xdslusb - tools for Conexant-based USB DSL modems
xdslusb-source - kernel module for Conexant-based USB DSL modems
unicorn - Monitoring applications for the Bewan ADSL PCI st and USB modems
unicorn-source - Source for the Bewan ADSL PCI st and USB unicorn driver

> o Internet accessible file storage. I can only think of running a FTP
> server, but aren't these insecure? Do they still use plain text
> passwords? I want to avoid SCP since windows users can't access it
> without downloading more software. FTP can be accessed through their
> existing file browsers.

If you do not want to make the data public, I'd still suggest ssh.
WinSCP is easy to use and install (in fact, you just unzip it). You can
also provide the users with predefined profiles.

Another solution (easier, no encryption during authentication or
transfer) would be to set up an apache server (takes almost no time) and
use .htaccess files. But that's almost as insecure as using ftp.

> o Is Debian sarge okay or should I really stick with woody? They might
> want to still do some desktop work on the machine and Gnome 1.4 really
> isn't that great.

If I were you, I'd try sarge. After installation, change the "testing"
entries in your sources.list to "sarge" and it will stay sarge, even
after release.

> o Gateway to a wireless network. I have a cheap wireless gateway to
> connect to the ethernet port of the Dell. What packages should I install
> to get masquerading, dhcp, etc

Masquerading is done by the kernel with iptables. Any Debian kernel
includes the required modules. You still have to set it up, but google
returns a lot of example scripts for your purpose. DHCP and DNS can be
done relatively easy with dnsmasq. Its configuration file is mostly self
explanatory (300 lines, >90% comments).

J.
--
Whenever I hear the word 'art' I reach for my visa card.
[Agree]   [Disagree]