Re: Burning DVDs

Joe Topjian wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I seem to be having quite a bit of trouble burning DVDs in both Sarge
> and Sid.  On Sarge, I've used kernel 2.6.8 with ide-scsi emulation and
> on Sid 2.6.10 with ide-scsi emulation.

In my experience you really want to avoid ide-scsi emulation when using
2.6.x
> (The reason for using emulation is because without it, when ripping CDs, after a few minutes, all
> tracks will be ripped with blank data).

I think you are better off trying to fix this ripping problem than the other problem and stop using scsi emulation.
I would start looking at the device you are ripping from first.
Rather than ripping from /dev/cdrom (which could be linked to a scsi
device eg /dev/scd0 which you won't be using without scsi emulation) I
would try the actual ide device, /dev/hda or /dev/hdb or /dev/hdc or
/dev/hdd (depending on where your cd player is connected).

> Anyways, whenever I try burning a DVD (I've tried both dvdrecord and
> growisofs) the system completely locks up within 5 minutes.  Looking
> at the DVD, there was some data written, but the program did not show
> any status of data being wrote. My burner light just went solid and
> stayed and then system freeze.
>
> The log files show absolutely nothing.
>
> Is there anything I can check out? Or has anyone else run into this?
>
> Thanks!
> -Joe

Tim.