Re: What to do with a MacBinary attachment

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:43:23 +1030, David Purton <dcpurton@chariot.net.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 07:57:20PM -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> > Is there anything I can do with a MacBinary file?  It contains
> > pictures (jpeg, I think).  I googled and found mcvert, but it just
> > converts to binhex, which is just as inscrutable!
> >

> Nah - read the man page for mcvert. going to binhex is just the default.
> You can get the data and resource forks as well.

Actually, the default is to convert BinHex to MacBinary.  I guess
"data and resource forks" means something to a Mac user, but it means
nothing to me.  How do I just extract the pictures?

I used 'mcvert -d filename' and got 'filename.bin'.  In other words,
nothing was extracted; the file was just converted from the 8-bit
MacBinary format to the 7-bit BinHex format.  I have read the mcvert
man page, several times now, and maybe I'm just dense, but I don't see
how it _extracts_, I only see that it _converts_ (from one
inaccessible format to another).

Patrick