Accidentally deleted some files from /var

I accidentally deleted some files from /var . Can I repair the system? How?

Now, gdm does not start but gives this error message:
    Server Authorization directory (daemon/ServAuthDir) is set to
    /var/lib/gdm but this does not exist. Please correct gdm
    configuration /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and restart gdm.

/etc/init.d/gdm start:
    I cannot start the X server (your graphical
    interface).  It is likely that it is not set
    up correctly.  Would you like to view the X
    server output to diagnose the problem?
The X server output is empty.

ls --all --format=long /var/lib/gdm:
    total 8
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 02-07 01:30 .
    drwxr-xr-x   63 root     root         4096 02-06 22:53 ..
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 01-26 23:26 .fonts.cache-1

Thanks in advance.
--
Deepak, R. <http://research.iiit.ac.in/~masatran/>