Re: Accidentally deleted some files from /var

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 02:03:42AM +0530, Deepak, R. wrote:
> I accidentally deleted some files from /var . Can I repair the system? How?
>
> Now, gdm does not start but gives this error message:
>     Server Authorization directory (daemon/ServAuthDir) is set to
>     /var/lib/gdm but this does not exist. Please correct gdm
>     configuration /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and restart gdm.
>
> /etc/init.d/gdm start:
>     I cannot start the X server (your graphical
>     interface).  It is likely that it is not set
>     up correctly.  Would you like to view the X
>     server output to diagnose the problem?
> The X server output is empty.
>
> ls --all --format=long /var/lib/gdm:
>     total 8
>     drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 02-07 01:30 .
>     drwxr-xr-x   63 root     root         4096 02-06 22:53 ..
>     -rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 01-26 23:26 .fonts.cache-1
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Deepak, R. <http://research.iiit.ac.in/~masatran/>

Not any help for you right now, but I have a sript running as a daily
cron job that does

tree -afi / > /root/store/tree
bzip2 /root/store/tree

which would come in useful in your situation. Just run the tree command
again (btw, the package for tree is called, err, tree :)) and have a
look at the (graphical) diff. Not like the need for this has ever arisen
for me, but I am a bit of a maniac when it comes to backup and the
likes.

Just a thought for future occasions of inadvertent deletion.

Andreas