Re: Don't understand recording from microphone.

On February 6, 2005 00:32, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I have just bought a headphones with a microphone boom, and I am trying to
> see how to get it to work properly.
>
> Since I am running a kde environment, I fire up kmix, and from there can
> control the microphone's feedback into the headphones.  I have it set so
> when I say anything it is picked up by the microphone and played back to me
> through the headphones.  I know kmix is controlling this because the volume
> controls on input and output work, as does muting the microphone.
>
> However, when I run krecorder (or other similar apps that are supposed to
> record the input from a sound source), no sound is recorded.  It appears
> that nothing is getting through to the application - the vu meter shows
> absolutely nothing.
>
> I don't know what I am doing wrong, or what I can change to get it to work.
> Can someone help me please.
> --

On my soundblaster live (alsa) I also have to make sure the "capture" input is
set to record and it's level set properly in addition to the mic input.  Make
sure the mic boost is on if you have one.   This is really pretty soundcard
dependant -- perhaps if you tell us your soundcard someone with the same
soundcard can give you a tip.

Also, did you get the part in the krecord handbook where you record from
another kde app (ie juk, kabbodle) using the audio manager working.  If you
couldn't there might be a more fundamental problem with your setup.

Roy P.