Don't understand recording from microphone.

I have just bought a headphones with a microphone boom, and I am trying to see
how to get it to work properly.

Since I am running a kde environment, I fire up kmix, and from there can
control the microphone's feedback into the headphones.  I have it set so when
I say anything it is picked up by the microphone and played back to me
through the headphones.  I know kmix is controlling this because the volume
controls on input and output work, as does muting the microphone.

However, when I run krecorder (or other similar apps that are supposed to
record the input from a sound source), no sound is recorded.  It appears that
nothing is getting through to the application - the vu meter shows absolutely
nothing.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, or what I can change to get it to work.
Can someone help me please.
--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk