Re: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

Hi, all! I'm trying to build a new kernel, and I'm having a Hell of a time
getting it to see its root partition. I consistently see the message:

Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I'm using 2.6.8 sources on Sarge/i386. I've got a Reiser3 filesystem in
place. I've got support for ReiserFS built into the kernel, and not being
built as a module. I am not using InitRD.

Here's what GRUB's menu.lst has to say:

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-lapdog root (hd0,0) kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-lapdog root=/dev/hda1 ro savedefault
boot

I've done a bunch of web searching, but I've not found anything explaining
what is causing this.

By way of comparison, here's what my currently-working kernel says around
the same point the broken ones panic:

VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev hda1.
VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev hda1.
ReiserFS: hda1: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal

My .config follows... Apologies for the length, but I'm guessing that it
contains helpful information.

If someone could suggest what I'm doing wrong, I'd be grateful. I've been
able to get a kernel based on Debian's kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686 to boot,
but it includes a large number of things I don't need, in addition to a
couple things that must be chopped out for my machine to work. (I've got
a YMF744 sound chip that doesn't work while ALSA modules are compiled in,
and I've got a Tulip-based cardbus ethernet adapter that needs to have the
new Xircom driver chopped out to work. Maybe these things could be handled
with the proper module-handling directives, but I'm still mostly lost with
regard to module handling. I'd enjoy pointers to solutions along those lines,
too, but I'd also really like to understand what's not happening with the
kernels I'm generating.)

My config follows. Thanks in advance for clues!

I had similar problem just few days ago, as I hadn't
used grub before.
Have you done the update-grub command, after
copying vmlinuzXXX to /boot?

In my case, doing update-grub and doing
root and setup commands(with switches) in the
grub shell solved  the problem.
Not sure is the shell part required.

Regards,
Antti