logrotate question

In my Debian sid /var/log directory there are 3 main files that are never rotated:

syslog
messages
kern.log

Is this my fault, am I missing something ?

I would like all of them having only the current day payload and then zipping older sets for a week and then delete forever.

Here follows my /etc/logrotate.conf (which does not handle any of the above three) and the /etc/logrotate.d does not have any entries for the above files.

Should I file a bug ?

TIA,
Bob

# see "man logrotate" for details
daily
rotate 7

# create new (empty) log files after rotating old ones
create

# uncomment this if you want your log files compressed
compress

# packages drop log rotation information into this directory
include /etc/logrotate.d

# no packages own wtmp, or btmp -- we'll rotate them here
/var/log/wtmp {
    missingok
    monthly
    create 0664 root utmp
    rotate 1
}

/var/log/btmp {
    missingok
    monthly
    create 0664 root utmp
    rotate 1
}

# system-specific logs may be configured here