Port 581

I recently set up a sarge machine for a friend.  Today I went to his house to
see how things were going and noticed that there was a continuous incomming
blip (every 0.5 seconds) in his network monitoring applet.  With nmapfe (I
hope I used it correctly) I believe it is a constant hammering on port 581.
Does anyone know what could be causing this? It used to be a completely
infected windows machine no updates were ever done and it was at the point of
being almost impossible to boot.

Roy P.