Re: Port 581

Roy Pluschke wrote:
> I recently set up a sarge machine for a friend.  Today I went to his house
> to see how things were going and noticed that there was a continuous
> incomming blip (every 0.5 seconds) in his network monitoring applet.  With
> nmapfe (I hope I used it correctly) I believe it is a constant hammering
> on port 581.  Does anyone know what could be causing this? It used to be a
> completely infected windows machine no updates were ever done and it was
> at the point of being almost impossible to boot.

Probably his old buddies looking for him. ;-)

Check out GuardDog.. Beware, just a peek at it and it writes a default
/etc/rc.firewall that shuts off all communications. Go to the "Protcol"
tab and under "File Transfer" tick the two HTTP boxes for the "Internet
Zone" for starters. Then visit  http://www.pcflank.com/scanner1.htm
to see what nmap from a remote site thinks of him.