so how will i tell boot.ini exactly where my boot images are, like we normally do in grub or lilo? and just to recap i DONT want to install grub (from the debian install) on the HD but i DO want to put it on /dev/hda2? if thats the case is calling the made file debian.mbr arbitrary?

I truly appreciate your help Mike! And everybody else cool enough to chime in!

Charles Read

On Feb 2, 2005, at 4:25 PM, Mike Smith wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike Smith <mikeosmith@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:24:37 -0500
Subject: Re: XP and Sarge Dual Boot....
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Bootpart edits a boot.ini.

from the command line:
bootpart /? will give you all the options. I normally just drop
bootpart.exe at c:\

C:\>bootpart /list
Boot Partition 2.50 for WinNT/2K/XP (c)1995-2002 G. Vollant (info@winimage.com)
WEB : http://www.winimage.com and http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm
Add partition in the Windows NT/2000/XP Multi-boot loader
Run "bootpart /?" for more information

Physical number of disk 0 : 38000000
 0 : C:* type=7  (HPFS/NTFS), size= 20482843 KB, Lba Pos=63
 1 : C:  type=83  (Linux native), size= 97272 KB, Lba Pos=40966128
 2 : C:  type=83  (Linux native), size= 8203104 KB, Lba Pos=41160672
 3 : C:  type=82  (Linux swap), size= 519120 KB, Lba Pos=57566880

This produces a list of partitions, 0 is Windows, 1 is my /boot partition.

bootpart 1 c:\debian.mbr "Debian Linux"

creates a file (c:\debian.mbr) and adds it to the boot.ini list.

When installing Debian take care NOT to install to the MBR, and
install grub to /dev/hda2 (in this case).

Have fun.