Re: USB 2.0 Drive Reliability/Stability?

On Feb 02 2005, Joerg Johannes wrote:
> However, I just ordered a firewire/USB 2.0 combo Hard disk, I hope the
> firewire thingy will work better.

Well, I have an HD enclosure (Pyro Dual Link Drive Kit DLX-185) with a
regular IDE HD inside of it. The enclosure has two connectors: one is a USB
2.0 and the other is a Firewire port.

I had problems getting filesystem corruption when I used it with the USB
port (at the time, I didn't have a Firewire card), with the SCSI layer
saying that the media was removed from the device (something quite weird
indeed, as it was in the middle of an rsync and I obviously didn't mess
with it when I was doing such copies).

It was reproducible, but I didn't have the opportunity of testing it
further and sending a proper bug report to the kernel mailing list.

Now that I have a vanilla Firewire card, I can use the same drive without
any problems. In fact, I'm using this drive with an HFS+ filesystem so that
I can easily share data between my Mac and Linux.

Cheers, Rogério.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at:
http://pub.tsn.dk/how-to-quote.php