Re: USB 2.0 Drive Reliability/Stability?

Am Mittwoch, den 02.02.2005, 09:07 +1100 schrieb Blake Swadling:
> On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 13:54 -0800, Kirchner, Patrick wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm curious about people's success and opinions on the general
> > reliability and stability of USB hard drives/CD burners/DVD drives
> > on Debian with the 2.6 kernel.
> >
> > I'm having continuous problems using any app with any external USB
> > 2.0 hard drive/CD burner/DVD drive.  For example, dvdbackup, abcde,
> > acidrip, ogle, etc. all start to read the fine but lock up in the
> > end, an external HD will be accessible for a while but end up
> > reverting to a read-only file system and has to be remounted for
> > write access.  Maybe it's my USB hub or ports that are causing the
> > problem?
> >
> > At this point,  I'm just wondering if the problem is maybe with me
> > and my computer or if others have also had continuous bad luck using
> > external USB 2.0 burners/DVD's/hard drives with Debian and the 2.6
> > kernel?
> >
> > Thanks much,
> >
> > Patrick.
>
> We were using external USB HDD for backup purposes and had exactly the
> same problem. Kernel upgrade to 2.6.9 from kernel.org fixed the
> problem.

I am using an Archos Jukebox (HD mp3-Player) with USB 1.1 interface, and
I have the same problem as the original poster. Upgrade to newer kernel
versions did not help (2.4.20 up to 2.6.9 -- I tried them ALL). 2.6.10
is the next one on my list.
However, I just ordered a firewire/USB 2.0 combo Hard disk, I hope the
firewire thingy will work better.

joerg