Re: USB 2.0 Drive Reliability/Stability?

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 13:54 -0800, Kirchner, Patrick wrote:
Hello,

I'm curious about people's success and opinions on the general reliability and stability of USB hard drives/CD burners/DVD drives on Debian with the 2.6 kernel.

I'm having continuous problems using any app with any external USB 2.0 hard drive/CD burner/DVD drive.  For example, dvdbackup, abcde, acidrip, ogle, etc. all start to read the fine but lock up in the end, an external HD will be accessible for a while but end up reverting to a read-only file system and has to be remounted for write access.  Maybe it's my USB hub or ports that are causing the problem?

At this point,  I'm just wondering if the problem is maybe with me and my computer or if others have also had continuous bad luck using external USB 2.0 burners/DVD's/hard drives with Debian and the 2.6 kernel?

Thanks much,

Patrick.

We were using external USB HDD for backup purposes and had exactly the same problem. Kernel upgrade to 2.6.9 from kernel.org fixed the problem.

Cheers
Blake

Blake Swadling
Senior Software Engineer