Re: Set UID and GID for NFS purposes

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, David Powell wrote:

At the moment I can read all the files in my NFS mounted directory but I can't edit them. The owner and group of the files seems correct (david/david on both machines) but when I "ls -l" the files in my mounted directory on the client, I see 1002/1002 instead of david/david (for user/group respectively).

Consider using rpc.ugidd to do UID/GID translations over nfs. The other options include using centralised authentication (so all the boxes see the same UIDs & GIDs anyway) or bringing the UIDs/GIDs into sync (lots of chowning, etc, a nightmare if you have many users).

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.