Re: Replacing NFS with Samba

Daniel L. Miller wrote:

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

In article <20050131064751.W49375@nirmala.opentrend.net>,
Robert Brockway  <rbrockway@opentrend.net> wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Daniel L. Miller wrote:

I've been having some major problems with a couple workstations on my network. They are setup to mount the home directory tree from an NFS server. The problem is, for some reason, the network connection gets interrupted periodically for a moment. I'm still investigating the physical connections - but every time it happens, the X-Windows session locks up. I was hoping Samba would provide a more fault-tolerant environment.

The problem you are seeing with nfs is probably because you are "hard mounting" instead of "soft mounting". See the man page for nfs.

Note that the Linux NFS developers actively discourage people from
using "soft" since it causes more troubles than it solves.

Try NFS mounting with the options "tcp,intr" (see man mount / man nfs).

Mike.
Well "soft"didn't fix it - I've changed to "intr".

It may be possible I'm going about this the wrong way. Can anyone point me to some troubleshooting techiques for NFS? I can't find any relevant log entries. "showmount" output - while the share is apparently working - from the client yields:

   mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

Today I was lucky enough to be working at the problem workstation when it experienced a failure. Switching to a console terminal, I saw "server not responding" messages. Ping worked just fine.

also, output from "rpcinfo -u server/client nlockmgr" is:
program 100021 version 1 ready and waiting
rpcinfo: RPC: Program/version mismatch; low version = 1, high version = 4
program 100021 version 2 is not available
program 100021 version 3 ready and waiting
program 100021 version 4 ready and waiting

Daniel