Set UID and GID for NFS purposes

Hi All,

Just had great joy compiling my first kernel (!!) to get NFS working only to find I'm stuck with what I thought should be an easy one.

At the moment I can read all the files in my NFS mounted directory but I can't edit them. The owner and group of the files seems correct (david/david on both machines) but when I "ls -l" the files in my mounted directory on the client, I see 1002/1002 instead of david/david (for user/group respectively).

I read in a previous thread that for NFS the UID and GID needs to be exactly the same - but how do I change this? Chmod chgrp etc don't seem to do the trick...

Should I just create a new user (I see in the adduser man page I can specify a UID) and move all the files across? Or is there an easier way?

Ta,

David