Re: IDE Disk Controllers: Natively supported / detecting them ....

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:57:42 +0000, jim biri <jim.biri@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to buy an ATA IDE disk controller card that is natively
> supported by the kernel in Den b2.4. How can I find out what is
> natively supported?
>
> Thanks to posts on the newsgroup (which have been very helpful),
> apparently a card with a Promise chipset aka Maxtor chipset is
> supported - but how do you know? More importantly - how can you find
> out before buying one?
>
> Also - once you've got such a card that *is* supported, do you just
> plug it in? How do you tell Deb to recognise it? Are there some
> commands that should be run? Once it "sees" the card,  will it
> automatically see any IDE drives connected to it?
>
> So - here's a Promise card: Promise Ultra ATA-133 TX2
> http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/controllersandiocards/productView.htm?quicklinx=14Q0
>
> Is this any good? Is this natively supported?
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Jim.

Hi Jim,

You can usually find out about supported hardware in the linux
hardware howto (you can find it at tldp.org). It lists the supported
chipsets.

However, I went to the promise site and the "data sheet" actually
lists linux as a supported OS. So I think you're pretty safe when it
comes to that. This is mostly very generic hardware anyway.

greets,
Wim